China’s Internet authority China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC) has released some interesting data based on its reports namely “2008 Chinese Search Engine Market Advertisers Research Report” and “2008 Chinese Search Engine User Behavior Study”.
China’s Internet population has reached 298 million in early 2009. The average income of Internet users is marginally higher than the national average, so the strength definitely lies in China’s massive online population.
Chinese Search Engine Usage Data
- 64.9% of Internet advertisers use more than one search engines, and among those who use search marketing platforms, 86% used Baidu and 60.2% used Google.
- The number of mobile Web surfers surged 113 percent to 117.6 million in 2008 and mobile Internet is expected to grow explosively in the next few years after the recent issuance of third-generation (3G) licenses, the state-run agency said.
- Among advertisers who chose only one search engine marketing platform, 72.2% selected Baidu.
- 49.3% advertisers are in manufacturing industry; 12.5% in IT; 10.3% in trade; 6% in service. Advertisers for all other industries are less than 5% except pharmaceutical and chemical industry.
- Among all companies who participated in the survey, 14.1% is willing to do SEM and invest more in SEM. 55.3% WILL do SEM and keep the current spend level. 4.6% will do SEM but will lower the spend. 7.8% will not and 18.2% are not sure.
China Internet User Behavior
- Search engine users who are not satisfied with the results of an initial query:
- 60.5% of users will enter another query
- 46.6% of users will refine their search queries
- 40% will change search engines
- 30.4% will search again using existing keywords
- 26.1% will give up using search engines
It is also notable that the Internet penetration rate in China has risen to 22.6 percent, slightly higher than the world’s average of 21.9 percent, CNNIC said in a report.
What shall we do with these reports? Marketers should now be able to dissect the segments (youngsters, students, professionals, etc) and apply online marketing strategies appropriate for these segments.