Reasons Why Google Struggles in China
Some of the points I gathered plus my personal opinions.
- Baidu is a domestic product and is perceived to index Chinese content better than Google
- Baidu is a Chinese brand which I think many people would be inclined to use
- Baidu openly features its strong entertainment functionalities such as quick mp3 search
- Baidu is perceived to have more youth-oriented features
- The thought of censorship of foreign-based search engine results may also come into play
- Baidu showed up ahead of Google and has better stranglehold of forging strategic partnerships
But it’s not at all bad for Google.
- Respondents may be biased to such entertainment features; more than 60 percent of the survey respondents listed music downloads as their main reason to go online.
- Respondents think Google provides more precise results and its loyal followers attest to that
- When users see poor quality in Baidu results, they switch to Google
The study is based on 40 one-on-one interviews with Chinese consumers and a 450-person survey.